Come and honor eight individuals, including District Attorney George Gascón, for their public safety work in Hayes Valley and the Western Addition. Our Public Safety Committee meets Monday, August 4, 7pm at the Korean American Center (745 Buchanan St.). The meeting will also feature a “Taste of Hayes” with food from local restaurants.
The HVNA is having our monthly community meeting and 2014-15 Board elections this Thursday, February 27th from 7pm to 8:30pm.
This meeting will focus on the following issues identified by the HVNA Board affecting the quality of our lives in Hayes Valley. Rather than having speakers and presentations, each issue will have a table staffed by an HVNA Board member and representatives from City and private organizations where we can all interact to find community-based solutions to the neighborhood’s issues rather than rehearse common complaints. The focus will be on solutions, not complaints; and solutions are the result of everyone working together.
Discussion topics will include homeless Issues, parks and greening, property crime, new development issues, traffic, the arts, and small business.
We hope to see you there!
The HVNA Public Safety Committee is hosting our monthly meeting this Monday, January 6, 7:00PM at the Korean American Center at 745 Buchanan St. The meeting will feature a presentation by Public Defender Jeff Adachi. He will talk about State Realignment, the Clean Slate program. mental health court and crime and arrest trends. We will also hear from Northern Station about recent police activity in the area.
The HVNA is having our monthly meeting this Thursday, October 24 7pm-8:30pm at the Hayes Valley Playground Clubhouse (Hayes and Buchanan). The agenda will include:
1) Market & Haight Streets Transit and Pedestrians Improvement Project, Lisa Chow and Jay Lu - SF Municipal Transportation Agency
- Topics will include project benefits, scope of work, new transit configurations, construction timeline, the mitigation plans during construction and community outreach
2) Outdoor Air Quality Legislation, Karen Cohn, MS, CIH, Program Manager - SF Department of Public Health
- The Planning Department is proposing strengthening laws regarding outdoor air quality in and around Hayes Valley and the Western Addition, among other neighborhoods defined by the Air Pollutant Exposure Zone.
3) PROXY, the Next Steps, Douglas Burnham - envelope a+d
- Proxy was granted a new seven-year lease on their Hayes and Octavia interim use site that creatively uses shipping containers for a variety of commercial spaces. There are plans for new developments on this lot. Architect Douglas Burnham will describe what’s in store for the new year and beyond.
Please join the HVNA for our September community meeting Thursday (9/26), from 7pm-8:30pm, at the Hayes Valley Playground (Hayes and Buchanan). The agenda will include:
- 555 Fulton – Learn more about developments at 555 Fulton and the designated space for a grocery store on the retail level;
- Formula Retail Study – AnMarie Rodgers of the SF Planning Department discusses a study being developed on the impacts of formula retail (chain stores) and formula retail bans in San Francisco neighborhoods;
- Announcements and committee updates.
The HVNA Greening Committee is holding their monthly meeting this Thursday, September 19 at 7pm. Join your neighbors at 448 Linden Street (b/w Laguna and Octavia) for a lively discussion about keeping Hayes Valley a beautiful and green place to live, work, and play!
The HVNA Public Safety meeting will be Monday September 9 at 7:00PM at the Korean American Center at 745 Buchanan St. We will feature a summer potluck, with food starting at 6:30pm.
The meeting will have a discussion with Joseph Shelley, CEO of Legion Corporation, a private security firm, about the role private security can play in public safety. The neighborhood has had some success with some businesses along Market using private security to cut down on crime such as vandalism, graffiti and burglary. There are areas of Northern Police District where businesses can join together and get a reasonable cost for 24 hour drive by security.
We will also welcome back Assistant District Attorney Seth Steward from a year away back east. He is returning to the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office. We will hear about his year away and his new job helping the people of San Francisco. The next meeting will be Monday, October 7.
The HVNA is hosting our monthly community meeting this Thursday, August 22, 7pm at the Hayes Valley Playground Clubhouse (Hayes and Buchanan St). The meeting agenda includes:
Captain Greg McEachern, SF Police Department. Captain Greg McEachern will talk about safety in our neighborhood and will be able to take questions from the community. Captain McEachern has been Commanding Officer of the Northern Station for six months and has spoken several times times at HVNA’s Public Safety Committee.
Sheryl Davis, Executive Director of Mo Magic / Collective Impact. Ms. Davis will talk about fall after school programs in the neighborhood.
Announcements and Committee reports.
The HVNA is having their monthly community meeting this Thursday (7/25), 7pm-8:30pm, at the Hayes Valley Playground Clubhouse (Hayes & Buchanan St.). We are honored to welcome Supervisor Breed and others! Please see the agenda listed below and we hope to see you there.
- London Breed, District 5 Supervisor. Supervisor Breed will discuss her first 6 months in office and open up conversation for issues important to HVNA. Come prepared with your questions for the Supervisor.
- Kit Hodge, SF Bicycle Coalition Deputy Director. Ms. Hodge will discuss the new bicycle share program in San Francisco and how Hayes Valley will benefit from it.
- Tiffany Refuerzo, SFPUC and Friends of the Urban Forest. Ms. Refuerzo will discuss the Friends of the Urban Forest Sidewalk Garden Project.
- Announcements and Committee reports.