Stop the Morning Tow on Oak!
Members will be asked to vote to support the repeal of the tow-away lane on Oak St. The following is information from proponents of the repeal.
- Frees up over 150 long-term parking spaces
- Reduces speeding
For ALL residents:
- Reduces traffic noise
- Makes our sidewalks much safer/more pleasant
- Lots more neighborhood parking for your early morning guests, even if they are just dropping by to pick you up
- Improved localized air quality
Why this change is possible:
- For many months, this same approach has worked very well for Fell Street (parking there is both sides of the street at all times, except street cleaning)
- Traffic volumes on Oak and Fell are similar (currently commuters are “given” 4 lanes on Oak to go to work in the morning, while those same commuters do fine with 3 lanes on Fell in the afternoon)
- Drivers tend to avoid the curbside traffic lane on Oak Street anyway, due to its discomforting tilt toward the sidewalk for drainage purposes
- The City wastes valuable taxpayer resources by deploying Parking Control Officers each weekday morning to ticket/tow vehicles parked curbside on the north side of Oak Street
- Traffic uses the north (curbside) lane for only 90 minutes a day, 5 days/wk
- It is dangerous to facilitate speeding with 4 lanes of morning freeway-bound traffic through Oak Street, since the traffic comes to an abrupt crawl just east of Fillmore Street (approaching Octavia Blvd)