It’s time to renew your membership and we’re counting on you now more than ever. This February, the outgoing and incoming HVNA board members met for our bi-annual retreat to discuss the pillars of the HVNA mission. Inclusiveness and equity within the neighborhood were our biggest focuses and are a common thread we hope to emphasize through our committees, events, and everyday actions. Your membership will help HVNA provide the following and more:
- Every second Saturday of the month, parents, caregivers, and kids meet up at the Hayes Valley Playground from 10am to noon. HVNA provides free coffee for parents to enjoy while the kids burn off a bit of their weekend energy. We hope to expand our efforts to provide more benefits to Hayes Valley families and support raising children in an urban environment
- Your commercial district in Hayes Valley protects small local businesses, making it one of the most visited retail shopping and eating destinations in San Francisco. Last year, our merchants hosted a free Halloween event for the neighborhood’s children. This year, we are working to provide local teen internships to teach important skills and build work experience
- The Hayes Valley Art Works along with the Arts, Culture & Entertainment Committee (“ACE”) continue to activate Patricia’s Green and Octavia Boulevard with large scale sculptures, exhibitions, free educational series, discussions, gallery space and collaborations. In addition, ACE works with PROXY to host cultural events such as the free Spring and Fall film festivals
- HVNA’s leadership grew out of removing the former Central Freeway from our neighborhood. Housing, land-use and public infrastructure played and continue to play an important role in shaping Hayes Valley. The Transit & Planning Committee (“T&P”) works with developers and public agencies to prioritize safe public spaces, thoughtful affordable and market-rate housing, and the legacy of the Market Octavia Neighborhood Plan
- Homelessness is an issue impacting all San Franciscans. HVNA aims to be a leader in addressing homelessness in our community. HVNA will be part of the solution and help to communicate how best to respond to homelessness in Hayes Valley
- The HVNA Public Safety Committee works very closely with the local SF Police Department, Supervisor’s Office, and other public agencies to ensure Hayes Valley is safe and inclusive for all. The group’s focus on traffic enforcement, trash collection, homelessness, merchant and residential theft, and meets the first Monday of every month at the Korean American Center at 745 Grove at Buchanan Street
- Lastly, greening is a key part of Hayes Valley living. Our Greening Committee helps to plant new trees, landscape sidewalk areas, grow community gardens and maintain Octavia Boulevard plantings. We can always use help and welcome new ideas, hands, and shovels!
We are also in the process of creating a new easy to use calendar, membership benefit flier, and more streamlined communication system. By renewing your membership, you will support HVNA’s community work and programming. Please use the enclosed envelope and form or go to http://hayesvalleysf.org/join/ to sign up today. We now offer an auto renewal program!
Craig Hamburg, President