At our general meeting last week we discussed redistricting and what it might mean for Hayes Valley. Please keep reading to find a meeting that you can go to and give your input into the process.
For current and more in depth information, go to: https://www.sfgov.org/rdtf
· In 2010, a census was done and revealed that our supervisorial districts are not equal in population.
· Redistricting is needed because federal, state and local laws require that districts be equal in population.
· District 6 is 29.49% over. District 5 is 3.45% under. District 8 is 5.38% under.
· The Board of Supervisors has convened a nine person Redistricting Task Force to redraw the supervisorial district lines. The Board of Supervisors, the Mayor, and the Elections Commission each appointed 3 people. The members of the task force are unpaid.
· The Redistricting Task Force must present a final plan outlining the new supervisorial district lines to the Board of Supervisors by April 15, 2012.
· The task force works with City staff and outside consultants to determine how the supervisorial district lines should be redrawn. The community can also weigh in its option.
· It is important that new lines don’t dilute the voting power of minorities and that they maintain recognized neighborhoods intact.
· The Redistricting Task Force hold regularly scheduled meeting open to the public and will hold multiple community hearings to receive input from the people of San Francisco. See schedule below.
Community Outreach Meetings – Month of November
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 – 6:00 p.m.
District 1, 2, 5 – Hall of Flowers, 9th Avenue at Lincoln Way
Saturday, November 19, 2011 – 10:00 a.m.
District 3, 6, 8 – Tenderloin Community School, 627 Turk Street
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 – 6:00 p.m.
District 4, 7, 11 – Balboa High School Auditorium – 1000 Cayuga Street
Regular Meetings – Resume after November
The Redistricting Task Force meets on the first Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in City Hall, Room 406, and the third Friday of each month at 3:00 p.m. in City Hall, Room 416. These meeting are open to the public.